Sunday, November 6, 2011

Bean & Cheese Chimichanga & Spanish Rice

6 flour tortillas
1 can refried beans
1 1/2 cups any kind of shredded cheese
3 tbsp olive oil
Heat up the refried beans.  Once heated put beans and cheese closer to one side of the tortilla like so
Fold one side over the beans.
Fold in both sides.
And roll.
Next warm the 3 tbsp of olive oil in skillet on medium.  When oil is hot place rolled chimis open side down.  Heat on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
You could also add seasoned meat to the chimichanga.  For a recipe for seasoned meat go here.
My next feat will be to make my own refried beans.  We eat so many beans in our home I might as well start soaking, cooking and freezing my own.
The Spanish rice idea came from a friends blog.  I loved her idea of browning the rice before cooking it.  It reminds me of my all time favorite Rice A Roni.  While Shawn and I were dating I lived on Rice A Roni.
Here's how I cooked my Spanish rice.
1 1/2 cups white rice
3 cups water
1 tbsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
ground pepper
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can of corn, drained
2 tbsp olive oil
Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat.  Add rice.  Continue cooking rice and stirring until it reaches a golden brown.
Once a golden brown add the water, oregano, salt and pepper, corn and tomatoes.  Stir and cover until all water is absorbed.  About 20 minutes.
Rice can be added to the chimichanga or eaten as a side dish.  Also if you wanted to spice things up a bit you could add some diced peppers to the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment