Monday, October 17, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner In About An Hour

I have to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of turkey.  Gasp...What?  I know.  Someone who doesn't like turkey?  So in my Thanksgiving dinner I'm making chicken.  The real white meat!  In my kitchen tonight I made this delicious and fairly healthy meal.
Yams are usually made with loads of butter, brown sugar and calories.  While they do taste amazing, my hips don't appreciate the extra calories.  So I tried to come up with an idea to substitute the butter and sugar.  I've got it...PEARS.  These were fantastic.  Here's what I did.  You'll need:
1 29 oz can unsweetened yams
1 16 oz can pears
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup small marshmallows
Preheat oven to 375.  Open and drain the pears and yams.  In oven safe dish spray pam.  Add yams.  Run a knife through the pears until they are finely diced.  Add the pears to the yams and stir.  Place in oven and cook for 35 minutes.  Pull out and add the marshmallows.  Put back in over for an additional 10 minutes.  Once you pull of out the oven add the cinnamon to the top of the marshmallows.
For the chicken you'll need:
8 chicken drum sticks
2 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp crushed mint
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Before I rubbed the seasoning mixture on the chicken drum sticks I removed the skin.  Heat the grill to medium and add the chicken.  Cook about 15 minutes and flip on four sides.
The chicken was great.  The mint with the taste of smokey barbecue flavor was very unique.
The stuffing was a mix from a box but instead of the butter I added apple sauce in place of the butter. 
The green beans were just frozen and I steamed them.
 And there you have it.  Thanksgiving dinner in about an hour!!


1 comment: