Saturday, October 8, 2011

Monster Cupcakes & Cream Cheese Frosting

I searched the Internet for weeks for the perfect cupcakes for Noah's Birthday.  I knew these cute little monsters would do the trick.  I found this idea from celebrations.com.  To make these I just used a store bought cake mix.  I used the confetti one so that the cake would be as colorful as these little guys.
I did use a homemade cream cheese frosting that was amazing.  I found the recipe for the frosting at foodnetwork.com but was not very pleased with the first time I tried it.  I made 6 dozen of these babies so with the second batch I changed the recipe.  The second time the frosting turned out great!

To make them you'll need:
1 bag large marshmallows
1 bag small marshmallows
1 box food coloring
Sprinkles in the matching frosting colors
Premixed tube of black frosting for the eyes
Colored cupcake liners

Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz unsalted butter at room temperature
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk

For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese in a bowl until smooth.  Next slowly add the powdered sugar and then the vanilla.  The frosting may seem a bit thin until you put the cupcakes in the fridge.  It actually makes it easier to work with.

Separate the frosting in four or five different bowls depending on the colors you are going to use on your cupcakes.  Mix a different color in each bowl and frost with the coordinating cupcake liner color.  Next top with the coordinating sprinkles.  Add a black dot on the marshmallows for the eyes.  Put a small amount of frosting on the bottom of the marshmallow to help it stick to the cupcake.

Once all cupcakes are frosted keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.  This were a definite hit!!!  They turned out great.  What a great idea for Halloween cupcakes.  The googly eyes seem to follow you around the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment