Saturday, December 31, 2011

Homemade Black Beans & Corn Bread

I love beans.  And they are so good for you.  They are so loaded with sodium though if they are from a can. I do know that if you rinse them before you use them if they are from a can, that can reduce the sodium by almost half. 
 I put beans in my soups, on my salads, or even alone as a side dish. 
Since I've been on vacation from school, I've had extra time.  I made some amazing homemade black beans.
1 bag black beans
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 16 oz jar sweet salsa
1 tbsp dill
1 tsp salt
1 clove minced garlic
8 cups of water
1/2 package of turkey bacon (about 10 slices)
Soak your beans overnight according to the directions on the bag.  There is a faster method of preparing beans in a shorter amount of time.  Although I have never tried it.  The quicker method says to rapidly boil the beans for 30 minutes and then drain the water.
After soaking and rinsing your beans over night put on the stove with the 8 cups of water.  Bring to a boil and turn down heat to low.  Beans will take about two hours on a low boil.  These beans take awhile, but they are oh so worth it.  After the beans are have been boiling and are tender add the garlic, dill, brown sugar and the salt.  At this point most of your water will have been absorbed or boiled out.  Cut the bacon, not cooked, in think chunky slices.  Add bacon, raw, to the beans.  Continue cooking beans on low for an additional 30 minutes.  If beans have lost too much water add another 1/2 cup at a time.  You do not want your beans runny.  Cooking another 30 minutes on low with cook the bacon and add some wonderful flavor.  I might have use regular bacon, but that's not what I had on hand.  I rarely ever eat regular bacon anymore.
For the Corn Bread
Make the corn bread according to directions on package.  Add 1 tsp of dill, some salt and pepper and 1/2 cup of light sour cream.  The sour cream will make your muffins so moist.  They're delish.
For the Veggie Salad
1 avocado
1 cup frozen corn (no sodium added)
2 medium tomatoes
1 tsp dill
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Add all ingredients to a large bag and shake to evenly coat.
For directions on cooking the pork go here.

Enjoy...

Kate Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment