Friday, August 5, 2011

Curtins from Scratch

This has been an amazing summer so far.  Since I have been blessed and was able to take the entire summer off from school I have had quite a bit of time on my hands.  Painting the house with some new vibrant colors has been on my list of things to do.  As I looked around my house all I saw was browns: beige, dark brown, light brown, taupe's and chocolate browns.  I really think colors can influence your moods.  After I got the living room painted my curtains did not do much for the brilliant yellow on the walls.  I spent quite a lot of time looking for just the right curtains to compliment the wall color. When I found ones I liked I was certainly not going to pay the prices they were asking.  Finally I decided I would make my own.  Although fabric can be quite expensive I figured it would be cheaper than I would spend on already made curtains.

First step was to pull my sewing machine out of the basement.  It's been years since I'd sewn and I was sure it'd be a bit rusty.  Low and behold, what do you think I found in my box of crafting supplies that were with my machine....beautiful fabric that matched the walls.  I was amazing.  It was fabric that I must have bought at a goodwill years ago. 

Next step was to design a simple pattern for my curtains.  It took me some time to decided what type of curtain I wanted.  I knew I didn't want anything that was frilly or feminine.  I wanted plain and simple.  I could not be happier.  This is what I ended up with.





No comments:

Post a Comment