Friday, July 29, 2011

Chicken Kabobs on the Grill

Anyone who cooks on a regular basis knows that we can get stuck in a rut quite often. I'm always searching the internet and cookbooks for ideas for new dinners. I do have one problem though when it comes to following directions; I don't!! I have a hard time following directions. I never follow receipies. I always have to add my own indegridents and my own twist on receipies. I just like exploring others ideas and then branch off in my own direction.
After quite some time of searcing for some other options for dinner, I realized that I had not made chicken kabobs in like, FOREVER!! One advantage to not following receipes is you always have what you need. This is what I have come up with for amazing Chicken Kabobs.

6 chicken breasts
1 large bellpepper
4 large red potatoes
1 large zuchinni
2 ears of corn
2 cups fresh pineapple
1 tbsp garlic salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp dill
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 bottle light Italian dressing
12 wooden skewers
Wash and poke holes in potatoes. Put them in the microwave for a few minutes. You do not want to cook potatoes completely. You just want to be able to cut then easily with a knife into large chunks. I cooked four potatoes in mircrowave for 7 minutes. Cut chicken and zuchinni in large chunks. marinate chicken, zuchinni and potatoes for a few hours. While that is marinating soak the wooden skewers for a few hours in cool water.
After items above have been marinating for a few hours cut up the rest of the veggies in large chunks. But the bellpeper and pineapple. Cut the corn into about 2 inch chunks. Also after I cut the corn I took a meat theromomter and poked a large hole through the center of the corn. It's pretty difficult to put a hole in the center of the corn with a flimsy wooden stick.
Put all items on wooden skewers in ramdom order.
Mix olive oil, rice vinegar, dill, pepper and garlic salt into a small bowl. Brush over kabobs.
Turn grill on to medium. Place kabobs and turn a total of four times every four minutes. I turned mine a fifth time thinking that they weren't quite done, but they would have been perfect if I took them off the grill after the fourth turn.
I served the kabobs over brown rice. Instead of making the rice with plain water though I put two chicken boulion cubes in the water.
I topped off my creation with fresh diced tomatoes for some added color and flavor. These were divine! I will be making these chicken kabobs in the very near future.



No comments:

Post a Comment